Walls of the shed

The 3D model

Before start the 3D modelling I designed the walls, to include the corner, and since every side of the wall was a single block the work was easier.

The first thing I made was positioning the pillars on the corners, and then along every side, the most equidistand possible.

Every pillar is a cube with diameter of 0.75cm (same width as the bases), to wich I applied bevel adn then made the wood grains in sculpt mode.

the pillars finished and positioned, of the 3D model of the miniature of the shed, made with blender

I made every wall part as a single block that I modeled in sculpt mode, slightly narrower of the base. I didn’t really separated every single boards, and the result wasn’t good. To make a separation line between the boards I used a small and hard brush, while to do the wood grains I used a bigger and lighter brush.

a details of the 3D model of the wall of the miniature of the shed, made with blender

a details of the 3D model of the wall of the miniature of the shed, made with blender

As you can see, you can’t distinguish well every board, due to the fact that the separation line and the wood grains are too similar.

The inclined board is a cube too, modeled in sculpt mode, to wich I added a sphere as a nail.

a detail of the 3D model of the wall of the miniature of the shed, made with blender. The inclined wood board is highlighted

In this work I used the mirror modifier. The sculp took a long time and since it was only a test I didn’t want to spend too much time doing this.

When I positioned the pillars, they were not perfectly equidistant, so I had to do two different walls with different lenghts, that I used to create all the structure.

Here the finished 3D model of the walls:

rear view of hte 3D model of the wall of the shed, finished, made with blender

front view of hte 3D model of the wall of the shed, finished, made with blender

The 3D print

I set the layer height to 0.2mm, enough to reproduce all the details, and I didn’t need nor the brim nor the supports.

Unfortunately, the 3D printed model have the same flaws of the 3D models: you can’t distinguish the boards between them.

Printing every wall as a single block simplified the work, though it required more time to 3D print.

The painting

Since I used the grey filament, I had to paint it. I used the brown acrylic for the wood and the black acrylic to paint the nails.

As the bases of the floor, I didn’t pay too much attention how accurate I was painting.

a wall of the miniature of the shed, 3D printed and painted with acrylic paint

a wall of the miniature of the shed, 3D printed and painted with acrylic paint

a wall of the miniature of the shed, 3D printed and painted with acrylic paint

a wall of the miniature of the shed, 3D printed and painted with acrylic paint

Conclusions

I want to conclude this article with a short analysis of the problems of the walls made in this way. First of all, as I already said, you can’t distinguish one board to another. Another problem is about modularity, since I have only a 3-bases or 5-bases lengh walls.

There is also a problem assembling the structure. My 3D printer is not too accurate, and every error sums for every piece. In this case I 3D pinted every bases, so on the shorter side the error sums 3 times, while on the longest side the error sum 5 times. On the other hand, the wall is printed as a single block, so the errors are only on the edges, not on the holes of the bases. This means that the holes of the wall won’t fit the holes of the bases, and the non-alignment of the holes will be greater increasing the number of the bases.

These differences are not excessive (maybe 1 or 2 millimeter), but if you use all the pin possible to join the bases to the wall it will be a bit difficult, due to too much tension.

I solved this problem using less pin to join these 2 block, so the bases can “move” a bit and discarge the tension.

My conclusion is that with this work i understand that I need more modularity, without doing the walls too much long, maybe with the maximus lenght of 2 or 3 bases.

Moreover, due to the bad results with the 3D model, in the next works I’ll return to use my method of separate every board from the others.

Leave a Reply

Close Menu
shares