Van – rpg miniature

Introduction

After Inari, I continue my work with the miniatures of my friends’ characters in the d&d campaign we are playing. This time it’s Van’s turn, our half-orc inquisitor.
To make the clothes, I referred to the inquisitor’s character shown in the player’s manual: a light armor covered by a coat that reaches the feet and the hat (Here the reference image).
For the pose my friend has chosen one inspired by Artas (the character of Warcraft), here the link to the image.

The 3D model

For this work I used as a base the model of the male body that I used also for Caladrel, creating the clothes and the weapon. Despite being a half-orc, I did not change the look, preferring to add the details of the tusks only with painting.

Figure 1 – The model of Van before being laid.
The hands have not yet been removed
Figure 2

To make clothes I used an unusual method compared to my standards, but very efficient: I created only the bare essential that is visible. In particular, I limited myself to making only the front part of the armor.

Figure 3 – The clothes.
In the middle the front part of the armor

Since they would have been completely covered, I did not even create pants.
Obviously the time saved in making the armor was all lost to make the coat, which I managed to complete only on the third attempt.
Since it was supposed to be a solid block, I ran into various problems:

  • At the first attempt I created the “blank” coat, which was worn by the miniature. The problems were in the legs (too many gaps between them and the coat), for which they would have needed too many supports or there would have been extremely difficult to remove smudges, as well as making the whole thing less solid
  • At the second attempt to wrong extrude the faces (I always start from the top and I go down during the creation) I had done a model that was going to cover everything like a tunic, despite the front opening and therefore was not good
  • The third attempt, the final one, can be seen in Figure 4
Figure 4 – the various components of the coat, I have done as separate pieces the coat, the sleeves, the shoulder straps and the collar

With the coat made like this part of the legs are inside the model, this gives stability to the miniature, allowing better results in the print.

Figure 5 – Boots and knee protection.
The right boot shows the various separate components

For gloves, however, nothing new: I created the separate fingers to be changed later during the laying.
All the clothing was created using the subdivision surface and mirror modifiers.

The pose was simple to do, but I had to follow this procedure: first I placed the arm sketching the pose, then I placed the sword and finally I adjusted the position of the arm. At the end I put the gloves on the hands and removed the latter.
I did so because I had to make sure that the sword did not touch the base (given the size could have ended “under” the base) and should not protrude too much (to prevent the miniature breaks in case of collisions), so it was the sword who decided where the hand would be and not vice versa.

Figure 6 – Van posing. The partial overlap of the boots with the coat can be seen

The 3D printing

As my practise for the 30mm miniatures I set the height of the layers to 0.1mm, requiring 35 minutes of printing.
As I have done for Caladrel, given that Van should be bigger than an average person, the model has been scaled to 11x instead of 10x. The result is a 35mm high miniature, glued on a 25mm base.

Figure 7 – Van’s miniature just taken off the printer bed. You can see the “dummy” piece added to the tip of the sword

In this print the supports generated by Cura were not enough and I had to add a “dummy” piece that supported the tip of the sword. The piece was then removed along with the support material and the smudges.
Once cleaned from the excess material, I discovered that it is one of the few miniatures that stand alone without needing to be glued to the base, thus showing a good balance.

Painting

To paint Van I used these colors:

  • Evil sunz scarlet
  • Ceramite white
  • Runefang steel
  • Warpstone glow
  • Abaddon black

And

  • Brown
  • Gold

The first of the Citadel and the seconds of the Tamiya.
Since it is the first character orc I paint, not knowing how it would come out, for the color of the skin I preferred to use the warpstone glow and not an eventual mixture.
The protruding fangs I made with two lines of white, as well as adding some gold and black finish on the coat and armor.
Here is the final result

Figure 8 – The miniature of Van painted
Figure 9
Figure 10

Bloopers

This is more a forgetfulness that I did not know where to insert: I realized only the day after I finished painting the miniature that I had completely forgotten to do his hair! I did all the work convinced that he did not …

That said, see you at the next article!


This is a translation for the original italian post: Van – miniatura gdr

Leave a Reply

Close Menu
shares